Ferrocarril General Belgrano Class C16 4-8-2 No. 1802

Close Window

Ferrocarril General Belgrano (FCGB) 1802 was a 4-8-2 built by Baldwin of the USA. This machine was very much a mobile experiment with Porta at the helm between 1969 & 1974. Major mechanical work and modifications were carried out at Tafi Viejo workshops, Tucumán.

Amongst many other developments the loco was used to develop and prove Porta's water treatment regime and also it was the first locomotive to carry a fully developed Lempor ejector. As was standard for the region of North West Argentina that 1802 operated in the locomotive was oil fired.

Sadly the locomotive is no more having been cut up after the end of steam in the region.

Many more photographs and information will follow in time.

Ing. Porta in the drivers seat of FCGB 1802 in 1971.  Richard Campbell
Ing. Porta in the drivers seat of FCGB 1802 in 1971. © Richard Campbell

In this view L.D.Porta poses with 1802, again in 1971.  Richard Campbell
In this view L.D.Porta poses with 1802, again in 1971. © Richard Campbell

A graph showing one element of the successes achieved with 1802.
A graph showing one element of the successes achieved with 1802.

1802 this time at Volcán. July 13 1971. © Richard Campbell

1802 this time at Volcán. July 13 1971. © Richard Campbell

1802 is seen at Pampa del Infierno on a water treatment development test train. January 18 1973.  Richard Campbell

1802 is seen at Pampa del Infierno on a water treatment development test train. January 18 1973. © Richard Campbell

Close Window